When I was at BYU my grandparents, who lived in Orem at the time, had all us cousins over for dinner EVERY Monday night....4-5 years worth of "Monday night dinners". When I was a freshman, there were only 4 of us - maybe only 3. By the time I graduated we were up to 10. Every week they opened their home to us, fed us great meals, and let us get to know our cousins - but also get to know them.
I lived in Utah for the first 9 years of my life. I have very fond memories of my Grandpa Carlson from those years. He has this awesome jeep - that we thought was so cool. He'd load us all up in it and take us to the park. He would take us fishing. He walked us over to the church parking lot so we could ride bikes. He let us trick-or-treat at his house EVERY SINGLE TIME we visited. They had a pocket door in their kitchen, he would go into the kitchen, close the door, and let us knock and say trick-or-treat. Grandpa Carlson LOVED chocolate. I think he is the only man I know that really LOVED LOVED LOVED chocolate. The more chocolate the better. Which meant his cupboards were always stocked with Snickers, Peanut M&M's, Paydays (okay, not chocolate, but still yummy), Kit Kats, and cookies. The freezer had frozen Hostess Cupcakes (the only way to eat a Hostess Cupcake is when it is frozen....trust me. try it.) and fudgesicles. If you asked him what kind of ice cream he wanted he looked at you like you were crazy and said "chocolate".
My Grandpa was one of the hardest working men I know. Up until the last few years, as age took its toll, I never saw him sit still - unless it was night time and he was visiting in the living room with everyone. He spent many hours taking care of the grounds in their condo complex. He spent many hours serving in the church. He was the ultimate example of a Christ-like person. When I was thinking of him this morning, remembering how special he is, it made me think of one of my favorite Primary songs "If the Savior Stood Beside Me" - in the song it talks about how we would act if the Savior stood beside us - I know that my Grandpa wouldn't have had to change a thing. I never heard him say an unkind word. I never saw him do anything the least bit dishonest or hurtful. He lived his life to the fullest and to the best of his ability.
I love you Grandpa. Thanks for being there for my family and me. I am excited to attend your funeral and celebrate the wonderful life you led. I love you Grandma - please know we are praying for you. Keep smiling!
Here are a few pictures I had on my computer....
Not the best picture - but it's all I had. Seeing as this was my graduation from BYU, and that my grandparents had a huge impact on my college days, I had to include it.


Ashlee, thanks so much for posting such sweet memories of Grandpa. Monday night dinners are something I cherished too. Grandpa and Grandma's lives have always been centered around serving. Serving their neighbors, serving the Lord, and serving their family and friends. They have truly lead by example and have instilled in all of us a desire to do quiet acts of kindness for others. We love you, Grandma & appreciate all you continually teach us. We miss Grandpa but will continue to carry him with us in our hearts.
ReplyDelete